Experienced Headteachers Development Programme
This programme is a new professional learning opportunity for experienced headteachers and has been created to enable headteachers to reflect on their current performance and determine their next steps in ensuring effective leadership.
The programme will provide each participant with personally tailored challenges and support; time to discuss ideas, theories and leadership tools; and the opportunity to benefit from, and to help others successfully fill the role.
It is a national programme, endorsed by the National Academy of Educational Leadership, co-ordinated by regional consortia in collaboration with Local Authorities and delivery partners. There is an opportunity for accreditation in partnership with Trinity St David’s (Yr Athrofa) and Bangor University for those participants wishing to undertake such a route.
The key contact details for the delivery of this programme in your area are shown below:
This programme is for experienced headteachers who wish to further develop their existing practice.
The programme promotes highly effective leadership through self-evaluation and reflection, exploring the relationships between leadership, successful schools and the wider community.
- Reflect on their own leadership style and how their leadership impacts on others
- Reflect on a range of leadership styles
- Understand the theory of change and how this effects their leadership on the transformational reform journey
- Collaborate with others to lead their schools effectively and to impact positively on leadership across Wales
- Embed a culture and practice of appropriate innovation across and beyond their school
The programme is structured in four phases over two years:
Phase 1: National Application process – September 2019
Phase 2: Completion of 360° leadership review and feedback – October 2019
Phase 3: Core Programme. This will consist of 4 days development over 2 residential periods, focusing on leadership review and managing change as part of the transformational reform journey – between November 2019 and May 2020
Phase 4: Active participation through Communities of Practice in a minimum of two additional modules – June 2020 to June 2021.
Points to note:
- Formal sessions will utilise central Wales venues with cohorts consisting of participants from all four regions.
- Bespoke modules will be organised in response to need and demand and will be based on a ‘blended learning’ approach.
- The programme seeks to maximise e-learning opportunities and technology with all learning, research and instructional content being made available digitally. This will also be the primary method of collecting and exchanging knowledge and learning.
- Each participant is allocated a Leadership Coach and is required to work collaboratively as part of a Community of Practice (a group of experienced headteachers who share a common purpose).
- All activities undertaken as part of this programme will be delivered in Welsh, English or bilingually.
- Delivery will be co-ordinated by the regional consortia and their partners which includes Local Authorities, Higher Education Institutions and Eliesha Training.
Places on this programme are expected to be in high demand and will be allocated giving due consideration to the quality of application and the capacity of individuals and their schools to allocate the required time and resources to the programme.
Completed application forms should be submitted by 12 November 2019 [extended closing date].
Further information can be obtained here.
Application form can be accessed here.